Tuesday 26 January 2016

Stormy Morning Head Torch Run


I wanted to get a decent run in before I started working from home today and because I had seen the weather forecast for storms starting at around 8am so wanted to get back before they kicked in.  Duncan dropped me and Ruby off at 6.30am at Curleys and we set off running along Wallsuches.  I could be wrong but I think this is the first time I have run with a head torch in the morning. 

We headed up through the quarries, coming out onto George’s Lane and then ran up to Two Lads.  It was already starting to get pretty windy so we didn’t hang around and kept running up Winter Hill to the mast then the trig point.  It was now torrential rain and blowing a gale!  It was really driving and I was having to shield my face with my hands because the rain was pelting it at some force.  I was quite enjoying myself to be honest but was a bit concerned about Ruby and so just wanted to head down off the hill.  We went down the diagonal and out onto George’s Lane, where I thought it would be a bit more tame.  It wasn’t.  Heading along George’s Lane towards the pigeon tower was utterly horrendous!  I could barely run because the wind was pushing me back so much.  Again though, I was really enjoying myself and it felt like great resistance training trying to power my way against the wind.  I was still concerned about little Ruby though but she probably wasn’t feeling it as much as me because she’s so little and has a much lower centre of gravity. 

Even so, once I arrived at the Pigeon Tower I thought it best to start heading further down, rather than continuing along George’s Lane, so I zigzagged my way down, coming out behind the school and then headed home.

Unsurprisingly, I didn’t see a single other person during this run.  Can’t think why not!

Total distance – 6.25 miles


No comments:

Post a Comment