Wednesday 27 January 2016

Doing My Own Head In


I have been driving myself mad today (nothing new there then), going round in circles about whether or not I should run.  I’m getting a cold.  It’s been lurking for a while now but today the sniffly nose has started and I’m all bunged up.  Normally I would just man up and run anyway but my dilemma is that I’m doing this LDWA event on Sunday with John and I’m scared that my actions during the week will have an impact on the run.  If I do run today/tomorrow, will this make my cold worse and tire me out before Sunday?  If I don’t run today/tomorrow will my lack of running be detrimental to my event on Sunday?  I know you don’t know the answer, it’s just hypothetical and I also know that I’m overthinking things, as usual.

Last week I did quite a lot of training during the week and then had a blinding long run on the Saturday.  The two weeks previously, I had barely done anything during the week and had rubbish long runs at the weekends, which makes me think I should do a lot of training this week to have a good long run this Sunday. 

My problem is inconsistency though.  Just because something has worked well for me once, doesn’t mean that if I do everything exactly the same again next time, it will work. 

I was going to have an easy run along the canal at lunch today (on my own since I’ve been deserted) but I know that when I run through Manchester, I can’t bring myself to run slowly, which is what I need to do because I don’t want to over exert myself with this underlying cold.  It’s a terrible ego thing but when there are so many other runners around, I feel like I have to look speedy and efficient, rather than plodding.  I know, I know, that’s ridiculous and I shouldn’t care what other people think but, c’mon are you telling me that when you’re running along and another runner starts coming towards you, you don’t straighten up and pick up the pace a little?  You know you do!

I finally made the decision to run with Ruby again after work instead as, that way, I had no choice but to run slowly. 

Total distance - 5 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment