Sunday 31 January 2016

My Weekend in Kendal

Yesterday I travelled up to Kendal for two nights stay in a B&B in advance of the That’s Lyth LDWA event on Sunday (I’ll talk about that in my next blog).

I got the train up from Manchester and arrived in Kendal at about 1.30 and headed straight for Hillside B&B.  My room was lovely and the hosts very welcoming (sounds like I’m on Trip Advisor).  I had a great view over the rooftops to the fells although this picture doesn’t do it much justice (I say that about all my photographs - although some of the ones in this blog seem to have gone a bit 'funny' when I've uploaded them!)

 
 After dumping my bag I went straight out into town to find myself something to eat as I’d had nothing since breakfast.  After wandering around for a while I went to a small café and had a cheese and ham toastie which was OK but very small and I was left hungry so got myself a bakewell tart from a bakery before wandering around the shops and buying myself a new, very brightly coloured and very ‘roadie’ looking Berghaus windproof running jacket from TK Maxx.

I also went into the local Tourist Information shop to look for some local area walks which I could do tomorrow. Whilst in there, I was offered a taste of some Kendal Mint Cake liqueur which I have to say was delicious so I ended up buying myself a mini bottle.



After going back to my B&B and chilling out for a couple of hours, I headed back into town in search of some grub.  After wandering around the whole of the town, I decided on a bistro which was only a few doors away from my B&B.  I had a delicious sweet potato curry, washed down with a glass of pinot grigio which I then got a taste for so headed round the corner to Tesco to buy myself a bottle of wine and some snacks to take back to my room with me.  I then spent the evening lazing around reading my book whilst eating peanut M&Ms and drinking wine out of a tumbler.  Before I knew it, almost the entire bottle was gone and I was a little bit on the tipsy side.  I called it at night at about 10pm (living it large!).

This morning I got up feeling slightly groggy, and headed down for my full English breakfast.  I started my breakfast off with some crunchy nut cornflakes… without milk because I hate the stuff, which always earns me some funny looks as I crunch away.  I then had my bacon, sausage, scrambled eggs, beans, mushrooms and toast and headed back to my room to get ready for heading out.

I had decided yesterday that I’d go for a walk this morning and a short run this afternoon but, looking at the weather, I decided I’d do the run in the morning whilst it was supposed to be nicer and I’d wrap up warmer for the walk in the worse weather later on.  I didn’t think I’d be able to run after having a big breakfast but I didn’t feel too bad. 

I did the ‘Kendal Castle’ walk route (as a run) which is only five miles and, as expected, took me up to Kendal Castle then on through some farm land.

 










I ended my run outside ‘The Famous 1657 Chocolate House’ where, obviously, I treated myself to one of their hot chocolates (the rum one, which came with a chunk of rum fudge on the side) and a dark chocolate fondant cake.  I think I need to run another five miles now to burn it all off!

 

After again wandering around town for a while, I then returned to my room to put more gear on and get ready for my walk.  When I got back to my room, it had been straightened out and, seeing that I was a lush, they had left me a wine glass in the room.

I chose the Scout Scar walk of six miles and set off on my way.  The weather was really windy now and there were intermittent hail storms and, at one point, a big piece of hail hit me hard in the eye and made me make an involuntary noise.  It really hurt!  I was just grateful that, whilst walking along the side of the cliff at Scout Scar, the wind was pushing me away from the cliff edge instead of towards it!

It was a really nice walk and the guide books I had bought were clearly written and really easy to follow so I didn’t have to get a map out at all.

This evening, I decided to just chill in my room with my book and so just bought a load of grub from Tesco and had myself a little picnic. 

It was so relaxing I didn’t want it to end.  It’s great being in a B&B as it’s so much more relaxing that being at home because, when I’m at home, I’m constantly thinking of things I need to do, like the washing up or putting clothes away, or hoovering, etc whereas, at a B&B, there’s none of that and I can really switch off. 

Just wish I could afford to do it more often!


Total distance - 5.2 miles (plus six mile hike)

No comments:

Post a Comment