Tuesday 5 January 2016

Bare Minimum Day

Yesterday I decided to see just how many calories I burn on an average day which doesn't include any running or other exercise.  I know my Garmin won't be 100% accurate but it will give me an idea and enable me to see whether my suspicions that I burn very few calories are correct.

They are.  I am actually very lazy.

My average day looked like this:

  • Got up and got ready for work, fed pets, cooked porridge, etc
  • Drove to train station
  • Sat on train for half an hour
  • Walked from Salford Central to my work - approx 1 mile
  • Sat on my arse for eight hours, getting up only to get water/make a brew/go to the toilet.  I didn't even go out at lunch. 
  • Walked to Piccadilly train station - approx 1/5 of a mile
  • Sat on train for half an hour
  • Drove home from station.
  • Walked Ruby for half an hour (this is my bare minimum Ruby walk)
  • Lounged around all night with intermittent bouts of housework, etc.
So, according to my watch, in the 24 hour period that was Monday, I burned a mere  1736  calories.  

No wonder I'm putting on so much weight as I eat at least 2500 calories a day.  I know I run but I don't think I run enough to justify the amount I'm eating.  I've gone from 8st 10lbs to 9st 6lbs (my weight on Saturday - I have eaten a lot less the past few days so await seeing what my weight is now as I can lose weight quite quickly if I put my mind to it).  I don't want to get back to 8st 10lbs though as I think that was too light but I would like to get back to 9 or just under.  

I don't know how I can make my working day more active though, other than going for a walk or run at lunch but a lot of the time I'm too busy and just don't get chance.  Work really does get in the way of life.  Hmmmm, how can I get enough money together to retire early? 

On the subject of going for a run at lunch, that is exactly what I did today.  I ran with Kathryn, which was nice because we haven't been out for a good while now.  She also had one of her colleagues, Thomas, with her.  I later found out that Thomas runs 5ks in circa 17.30 so this will have been an incredibly slow jog for him.

I actually felt really good on this run for a change. Usually I struggle on my runs with Kathryn, but I was able to natter all the way round and still keep a decent pace.

It was great to catch up!   


Total distance - 5.1 miles 

2 comments: