Monday 19 January 2015

Take Your Flippin' Broken Sledges Home!

They're everywhere!  Bits of coloured plastic all over the place, especially around the Pike.  Scumbags!

I got home nice and early tonight so I went straight out for a run with Ruby whilst there was quite a bit of sunlight left.

We ran down to the school then up the middle path (not the path to the barn and not the road on the Pike race route, but the one in between the two) and through the terraced gardens up to the Pigeon Tower.

Whilst in the terraced gardens there was a lone sheep in the trees which Ruby spotted.  She went to run up to it and I really yelled at her and, shocker of shocker, she stopped and came back!  Progress!!!

My calves were really sore and I had to stop at the Pigeon Tower to stretch them out but the stretch was even more painful!  I wondered whether I should just head home but decided that it was probably just the climb that was hurting and that once I got on the flat they would be OK and I was right.  We ran along to the bottom of Noon Hill and then went up to the cairn at the top.  By now it was quite dark and I had to put on my head torch.

I now had to make a decision of whether to head back the way we had just come or whether to run across to the Pike which I knew would be boggy.

I decided to run over to the Pike and, as expected, it was boggy although I've seen it much worse as the snow/ice made the ground a bit firmer.  Ruby was sliding all over the place and I did start to regret my selfish decision to go cross-country but she seemed happy enough and her little stump was wagging.  I did manage to hurt myself at one point though when my foot cracked through some ice and went down into the bog but the ice was quite thick and the jagged edge stabbed into my leg as it moved forward.  Ouch!

Surprisingly the Pike was deserted and in fact I hadn't seen a single other person on my whole run which was a bit odd seeing as it was such a beautiful evening.  

From the Pike we ran down onto George's Lane and down through my favourite field then home.

A really enjoyable run in the snow!

Total distance - 5.2 miles

https://www.strava.com/activities/243263675

No comments:

Post a Comment