Saturday 3 January 2015

Did Somebody Make the Mile Longer?

Duncan dropped me off at The Royal in Tockholes this morning . From there I ran through Roddlesworth Woods and out to Piccadilly.  This time I actually went the right way and didn't end up over near Abbey Village like last time.

I crossed the road and headed up to Great Hill.

Here's something interesting (well at least I think it is), which I only found out a few weeks ago - Spitlers Edge is actually higher than Great Hill.  I only noticed this when I saw my Strava trace from a run about a month ago and when I told a couple of seasoned Winter Hill fell runners they thought I must be mistaken and it wasn't until I showed them an OS map with the height figures on that they realised I was right.

Anyway, back to my run.  I didn't actually go over to Spitlers today but went down from Great Hill into White Coppice.

Upon reaching the cricket ground I looked at my watch and was shocked to find that it was only showing 4.5 miles.  Really?  All the way from Tockholes???  Has the metric system changed without my knowledge because in my head (and in my legs!) Tockholes to White Coppice is much further than that.

Anyway, from White Coppice I just ran to Watermans Cottage then round Anglezarke Woods and up the road to Yarrow.  I ran along Yarrow and then down to Dean Brook and out onto Rivington Green.  From there I just headed home.

There seemed to be a huge amount of runners out this morning around Rivington and Anglezarke, despite the rain, which is unusual.  Oh no wait, it's January!  That'll explain it then. Give it a month and there will only be the hardy few out in the rain again.  Sorry, that sounds a bit bitchy doesn't it?  Ah well, true though, although much respect to those who do stick with it.


Total distance - 10.25 miles

http://www.strava.com/activities/236043173

1 comment:

  1. Might be worthwhile talking to one of the club coaches to see what duration of rep they suggest - one minute - five minutes or whatever. Then look for a suitable bit of ground to match that duration. Also see my today's post in 'wfdbwgua' regarding my climbs. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete