Saturday 10 January 2015

Mid Lancs XC - Burnley

Probably my least favourite cross country race as it's really flat and boring and reminds me of school when we had to run round the edges of the playing fields as a warm up for PE.  I opted for fell shoes today instead of spikes because, as somebody who doesn't run properly and heel strikes, spikes aren't a right lot of use on a flat course as there are no spikes on the heel, although Tony H did show me his spikes which are actually Walsh fell shoes with spikes at the front.  I have never seen anything like them but I know that I really want a pair!!!

Just doing a warm up long lap with Suzanne was tiring enough today, my legs were like lead.

The race didn't go too badly though and it seemed to be over quite quickly.  My teammates consisted of Suzanne, Clare, Erica and Sandra.

Nothing much to report on the race itself as it's pretty boring but the weather was ridiculously windy and was horrendous on the far side of the last field, it was like running with a bungee cord on your back attached to a lamp post!

As usual, I had a fantastic sprint finish overtaking a girl just before the line.  Once I crossed the line and started chatting to Clare though, I found that I couldn't actually speak and my face was numb.  Does that happen to anyone else?  It was like I had just been to the dentist.  Clare had a storming run.  I saw her as we went into the third field as you double back on yourself and she was so in the zone with a look of sheer determination on her face.  Well done Clare and well done to all the other Horwich RMIers too, especially Sandra Kelly on her first ever cross country (and possibly Nick's first one too?).

On looking at my results later on, I found that I was ten seconds per mile slower than last year on this course however I'm going to put that down to the very high winds which were really energy sapping.  To be honest, I'm surprised I ran as fast as I did as it felt more like a ten minute mile pace!

Blackpool next month, should be pretty flat!

Total distance - 3.15 miles (+ warm up and cool down = 5 miles)

https://www.strava.com/activities/239203904

No comments:

Post a Comment