Thursday 15 January 2015

My New Socks

When I posted up my blog the other day with a comment about freezing cold wet feet, Josie recommended some Rooster socks so, given that I value any recommendation by Josie very highly as she definitely knows her kit, I bought myself a pair and they arrived yesterday.

I had planned to do the club's hill session today but, I'm not going to lie, quite frankly I couldn't be arsed going to it.  Why would I want to run up and down the road when the weather is as wild as it is today?  I want to get up onto the hill.

I also wanted to try out my new socks so I hooked Ruby up to my waist and off we went.  I was feeling much better today than yesterday and it showed on my climb up to Two Lads which was two minutes faster!  Admittedly there was some wind assistance but, even so, I was feeling much lighter legged than yesterday and full of beans.  The wind was so strong on top of Two Lads I'm surprised Ruby didn't get blown away!  I love it up there when it's really wild.

From Two Lads we ran down to the kennels.  I avoided my muddy route up to the mast then the Pike tonight because I didn't want Ruby sinking as it's REALLY boggy at the minute and she's only little so goes in up to her neck which isn't really fair.

Once at the kennels the plan was to then run to the Pigeon Tower, double back through the terraced gardens, run up the Pike and then head home but there was a problem... When we got to the kennels a couple of runners were approaching heading towards the Pike but they had a dog with them.  I had to put Ruby back on her lead but then I couldn't follow them because she would have just dragged the entire time which 1) is annoying and 2) makes her get really tired because she's dragging my weight so then she slows down to an amble and I end up having to walk.

I therefore decided to go back towards Wilderswood but had no idea where to go from there.  I thought that inspiration would come to me as I ran along George's Lane but, unfortunately, I made it all the way to Jolly Crofters and still hadn't thought of where I wanted to go.

We just turned back on ourselves and went along Wallsuches, then up to the side of the fishing ponds and climbed back up to George's Lane.  Ruby had had enough by this point so we went down Old Rake and back home.

The socks were amazing!  My feet were so toasty and I even purposely ran through loads of mud and puddles (they weren't hard to find!) to test them out properly.  Excellent recommendation Josie, thanks very much.

Total Distance - 5.05 miles

https://www.strava.com/activities/241454451/overview

No comments:

Post a Comment