Saturday 27 September 2014

Thieveley Pike Fell Race

My first fell race of the year!

What a tough little race.  Only 4.3 miles but with one hell of a climb in it.

I learned a valuable lesson right at the start of this race - start further up the field.  I took my place on the start line near the back of the pack because I didn't want to get in anyone's way but this was a huge mistake because, once we got through the field and along the track, people started walking straight away at the climb.  I would have preferred to run as far as I could before walking but I couldn't get past most of the time so was stuck behind people even slower than me!  I managed to get past a couple of people but I feel that if I had started further up in the pack I would have been much better placed for the climb.

The climb itself was really steep and at one point I was pretty much crawling using my hands too.  I felt like my calves were going to explode!

Once it leveled out, I found it quite difficult to get running again, but I managed, although shuffle is probably a more appropriate word than run.  There was then another big climb and the pressure in my calves now worked its way all the way up my legs and they felt like lead.

It was such a relief when I finally got to the pike and started my decent.

Just after coming off the pike there were absolutely stunning far reaching views so I took a moment (not literally, I kept on running) to take it all in.  It would have been rude not to.

When I had reached the pike, there were quite a few people around me, but I left them all for dust on the descent.  Nobody passed me at all and I gained quite a distance between the others and overtook another runner.

Then came the sting in the tail, another climb.  I found this one a bit easier but it was still hard work.

Relief came at the top when I knew that the rest of the race was downhill.  Again, nobody passed me on the down but I passed another three runners.

I actually felt like I was descending quite badly because I felt like I had my brakes on a bit too much but seeing as nobody passed me and I passed quite a few, I must have done OK really.

I passed another bloke on the run back in but he started to gain on me again, however I managed to hold him off and out sprint him at the end but it's probably nothing to be proud of as he looked quite a bit older than me.

I haven't seen the results yet so I'm not sure how far up the field I was but I'm sure there were more than ten people behind me, which sounds a bit rubbish but I'm OK with that.  These are all serious athletes after all.

Despite the tough climb and the fact I felt like I was going to chunder, I really enjoyed the race and would do it again.  I'll just make sure I'm further up the pack at the start next time.

Photo by Steve Bateson

Total distance - 4.3 miles (+ 1.1 mile warm up).

http://www.strava.com/activities/200347689
http://www.strava.com/activities/200347686

No comments:

Post a Comment