Friday 12 September 2014

Cairnbaan Forest Trails

This morning – yet another absolutely beautiful morning I might add -  I dropped Duncan off in Ardrishaig at the end of the Crinan Canal so that he could ride the length of it, ending up at Crinan Harbour.

After dropping him off, I drove along to Cairnbaan which is on the way to Crinan so that I could run the forest walks there with Ruby.  There are a few different walks at Cairnbaan but the longest is only three miles so I decided to do this one, plus two others, one around a mile and a half and one around two miles. 

They were pretty hard work!  The first one involved a good climb to the trig point on top of                                         .



Ruby, as usual was pretty tired so I did have thoughts of calling it a day after the three mile loop but then she seemed to perk up so we did the other two loops, which were much nicer anyway because a lot of the longer loop was on forest road and I prefer the narrow trails which the other two shorter trails had a lot of. 

You might be reading my holiday blogs thinking I’m a right wimp for doing a lot of these forest trails instead of just heading off into the mountains and, to be honest, you’d be right.  I just think it would be highly irresponsible of me to go off into the mountains on my own, with pitiful navigation skills and a compass which points in the wrong direction.  There’s also the fact that there is no mobile signal so a simple fall resulting in a sprained ankle could be disastrous, given that other walkers/runners are very few and far between out here.  Ruby is no Lassie and I’m pretty sure wouldn’t go running off to find help.   I really enjoy the forest trails and, believe it or not, some of them are pretty challenging so that’s good enough for me, I am on holiday after all!  I have no fear of getting lost so can just relax and have a good run. 

It was our last day in Argyll today as we’re off to Drumnadrochit tomorrow morning for the second week of our holiday.  Hopefully I’ll find lots more good run routes up there and the weather will stay good for us.  Never in my wildest dreams did I think I’d be in shorts for this amount of my holiday!

Positive comments – felt great on the climbs and there were quite a lot of them on this one.

Total distance – 6 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment