Wednesday 17 September 2014

Glen Affric - Dog Falls and Coire Loch

This morning I left Duncan and Ruby in the cottage and I headed off in the fog to Glen Affric.

Even though it was a sunny day, the fog was awful in places and visibility whilst driving was very poor.  It made for a very long journey but should have only taken twenty minutes.

I finally arrived and set off running through the narrow windy forest tracks which were full of rocks and tree roots so I really had to watch my footing.  The tracks were also alive with spider webs!  They were everywhere shimmering away and I had to keep running through them.  By the end of the run I was covered in bits of spider web.


Note the massive spiderweb in this pic, along with all the white bits of web everywhere...



The first place I ran to was Dog Falls which was absolutely beautiful.


After arriving back at the car park, I then continued on another loop, which took me up to a view point from which I should have been able to see Tom a' Choinich and Toll Creagach, which are both Munros, however all I saw was a blanket of fog with some peaks sticking out of it, which was absolutely beautiful!




As you can see from the photo, despite the fog, it was yet again a beautiful blue-skied sunny morning and the rest of the day was OK too but a bit overcast.  No rain and still quite warm though.

Looking at my Strava/Garmin trace is quite odd.  There are three lines at the north of the route, all running pretty parallel with each other and one being much higher than the other two.  The reason this is odd is because on all three of those parts of my run, I was on exactly the same narrow trail through the forest but on the trace there is quite a distance between each one.  GPS and forests clearly don't mix.

Tomorrow we are going across to Fort William and Fort Augustus so I'm off to search for somewhere to run en route (no, I won't be climbing Ben Nevis on my own - I definitely need a friend to run that with).

Positive Comments - Arrived back at the car three miles in absolutely knackered and could have stopped there, but carried on for another loop.

Total distance - 5.9 miles (however, I think it was more than this and that my Garmin lost signal in the forest)

http://www.strava.com/activities/195807107

No comments:

Post a Comment