Wednesday 10 September 2014

Dalavich and the Tick


This morning we drove out to Dalavich Forest, which is just down the road from where we’re staying.  Duncan planned to walk Ruby, whilst I went for a run. 

When we got there we found that a lot of the trail/forest was currently closed so I was quite limited on where I could run. 

I found a two mile route and a 1 and ¾ mile route so I did the two mile route twice and the other route once. 

The two mile route was pretty hard to if I’m honest.  It was really undulating but the climbs didn’t go on long so I was giving them my all and after the first two mile loop was already pretty tired.  I set off onto the shorter route and stopped to take a selfie by a waterfall.




A short while later, I passed Duncan and Ruby taking photos by another waterfall and offloaded my bum bag onto them as I didn’t feel I needed it for such a short distance.  I then carried on with the shorter route, before a second lap of the two mile route.  By the time I arrived back at the car I was exhausted, having only done 5.15 miles in total. 

The weather was amazing today, the car thermometer reading 28 degrees outside.  Erm, this is Scotland isn’t it?  We’ve been really lucky with the weather so far this holiday, it’s been lovely and sunny but this has been the warmest day so far and after my run I got into a pair of shorts and a t-shirt, something I haven’t done for a good while now. 

We had a drive out and we stopped at a posh hotel for a coffee, which is where I noticed an unwelcome little creature on the back of my leg, just near the knee joint.  It was a tick!  My first ever tick!  The lady at the hotel told me she had a tool for getting rid of them so she got this out and tried to get it off me.  The little fella wasn’t for shifting though and it took a lot of attempts to get it off.  In fact, we just ended up killing it, but it was still suck in and there was getting less and less of it to get a grip on.  After a while the lady went and got a pair of tweezers and Duncan had to get a grip of it, twist it anti-clockwise and pull it out.  He took half my skin with it I think but eventually got it out, it was in really deep!  I didn’t realise they went that deep. 

After a bit of driving round and stopping at various places, we ended up in the pub at Ardfern.






All in all, the best day so far of the holiday… save for the tick!

Positive comments: Kept going on steep climbs and didn’t walk, even though I was exhausted.

Total distance – 5.15 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment