Thursday 25 September 2014

Teaching an Old Dog New Tricks

Tonight's 'run' consisted of me trying to teach Ruby to stop chasing after things.  I'm sick of it now and really want to try harder to sort her out.  She has never really been treat motivated so it's quite difficult, however I have found a treat (from Lidl!) which she absolutely loves so I decided to take some out with me and use it to try to train her.

Professional trainers will tell you that you should treat the dog when ever she doesn't do the thing you are trying to stop her from doing.  The problem with that is that she NEVER doesn't pull after an animal she sees.

The tactic I therefore used was that whenever there was another dog that she was pulling to get towards, I would get the treat out and try to get her attention onto that instead, which did seem to work.  It's not ideal but it's a starting point! It worked on a couple of dogs we saw so I'm going to keep it up every time I take her out and hopefully try to get her to a point where she realises that she will get a treat if she doesn't run after the other dog.

Watch this space!

As for the run itself (if you can call it that - there were MANY stops in it), we just ran a loop around Rivington, nothing exciting.

Total Distance - 5.1 miles

http://www.strava.com/activities/199364250

No comments:

Post a Comment