Tuesday 16 September 2014

Easy run with Ruby Through Contin Forest

The weather today started off a bit grim again however by late morning it was back to the beautiful sunshine and I was regretting not having taken my shorts with me to change into after my run.  I had only taken my combats which weren't even the zip off variety, which I had brought two pairs of on holiday with me, typical!

Duncan went for a ride this morning round Strathpeffer so I took Ruby on a short run around Contin Forest. It would have been a bit longer but parts of the forest were closed as they're improving the routes so I should only have been able to do around 3 miles but I managed to make it up to 4.5 with a bit of improvisation.

The run started by climbing up to the top of the forest where there were beautiful views but, unfortunately, my camera was out of battery and Duncan had my phone with him so I had no means of taking a photo.

Once we had finished our run, I drove back to Strafpeffer to wait for Duncan to return from his bike ride.  I had only been back ten minutes when he arrived covered in muck and the odd bit of blood.  He had had an interesting ride which took him through a swamp at one point!

We then went for a drive up to Dornoch, via Tain, where we sat on a beautiful beach and played ball with Ruby for a while whilst, at the same time, trying to read our books, which was a bit tricky.



Later on, as we were driving along a very remote road in the middle of nowhere, two deer popped up and started running alongside the car. Duncan managed to get a few pictures, although none were great...



Positive comments - Felt great on climb right at the start*

Total distance - 4.5 miles

http://www.strava.com/activities/195408974

*Something has occurred to me whilst I have been away - I think a lot of my trouble with climbing back home is in my head (surprise surprise I hear you say).  I think that, because when I first ran up the hills near me I couldn't do it without walking, I still have that in my head and so still now think that I can't do it.  Not sure if that makes sense in writing but I know what I mean.  I'm finding the hills round here much easier, even though a lot of them are much longer and steeper than the ones I struggle with back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment