Tuesday 1 July 2014

Tough Track Session

In my quest to get some more speed into my legs I once again headed down to the track this evening.

The session was a massive 5 x 2000m (5 reps of 5 times round the track for any of my non-running readers)!!  Knowing I had no chance of doing the whole session because the fast guys would finish each rep way before me and would be onto their next rep before I had even finished my first, I decided to just do 1200m instead (three times round the track).

There was a girl at the track named Gaynor and I know that she is a faster runner than me so, in order to push myself and keep a steady pace, I decided to use her as a pacer.  She wasn't doing the full 2000m reps either.

I felt pretty strong on the first two reps but by the third my shins were starting to get pretty sore so I wimped out and only did 800m then had a good stretch whilst waiting for the others to finish their rep.

Feeling OK again, I did 1200m for the fourth rep, although I had slowed down by about 20 seconds per mile from the first rep.

Finally, the fifth rep came.  Just an 800 for me again this time but I'm pleased to say that I did manage to stay with Gaynor for the whole session.

I hate the long sessions like these but they're exactly what I need to improve my running.  I can do the speed thing for a short distance, but I'm not good at keeping it up so this kind of session is ideal.

I can't make the track next week because I'm at a Pearl Jam gig in Leeds (cannot wait!!!!) but I'm determined to get down there as often as possible and really get some decent sessions in.

Total distance - 4.4 miles

http://www.strava.com/activities/160468634/overview

No comments:

Post a Comment