Thursday 31 July 2014

Determined Fly!

Though I'm not sure what it's actual objective was!  I first noticed it when I was climbing up from home to George's Lane.  It was just a normal housefly (not horsefly) but it wouldn't leave me alone, buzzing in my ear and flying around my head. It carried on for the entire run!  I'm pretty sure it was the same fly the whole time. I kept whipping it with my pony tail but it was just so determined to annoy me (ahhh, there's the objective then!).  Given that flies are attracted to poo, I'm feeling a little paranoid!

The run itself was lovely, save for the fly of course.  From George's lane we (Ruby and I) ran along to the Pigeon Tower then turned right to following the lane around.  Once we got to the woods on the left, we climbed over the stile on the right and ran up to Noon Hill.  I was feeling really good tonight and the climbing came quite easily for a change.

Once on top of Noon Hill, I had to make a decision - Pike or Mast.  I decided on Mast but, part way there, Ruby had other ideas.  It was really boggy and she wasn't at all happy as she kept sinking and it looked like it was going to get more boggy so we turned around and went back up Noon Hill.  We then headed along the trod to the Pike.  I really like that run and Ruby seemed to enjoy it too, even though from her viewpoint, all she gets is a face full of long grass.

We ran up to the Pike and then ran down the Pike Race route where I let Ruby off the lead for a bit to try to avoid her tripping me up.  It really is pretty scary running downhill with a less than intelligent dog with you.  There is a constant fear of them running between your legs and sending you flying.

I got her back on the lead and we headed home along George's Lane.  As the other night, the field opposite the dog hotel was free of sheep so we went that way as it's one of my favourite downhill runs.  At the bottom, once through the gate, we turned right which took us down to the stables, where we turned left and ran down towards Wylderswoode Stud.  I wonder why it is spelled that way, rather than the same way as Wilderswood itself?

Total distance - 5.6 miles

http://www.strava.com/activities/173584088/overview

No comments:

Post a Comment