Sunday 29 June 2014

Shaly Dingle!

I didn't get chance for another run in the Lakes today so went out for one as soon as we got home.

I thought I would be sluggish as I had just driven back from near Penrith and had been stuck on the M6 car park for a while too so was feeling a bit stiff but I soon got into a good pace.  I went straight up through Wilderswood onto George's Lane and then up the path towards Two Lads but instead of turning left towards Two Lads at the water tanks, I carried on up to the mast road.  I then turned right, ran down a bit and went through the gate on the left heading out to the Trespass Stone.  From the Trespass Stone I ran up to Smithils Reservoir.  At the far side of the reservoir I headed off over to Whinberry Hill, then Egg Hillock.  Once I was at Egg Hillock I was undecided on what to do next.  I decided to head down to Shaly Dingle and see if I could then find a route which took me out on the Belmont Road somewhere, so I could climb up the hill from San Marino to the top of Winterhill.  When I got down to Shaly Dingle, I could see a path to the right so I followed it but ended up at a big gate which said 'no public access beyond this point'.

Not having a map, compass or phone with me, I didn't fancy getting lost so I just retraced by route back to Egg Hillock, Whinberry Hill and the reservoir.  I was making good progress so thought I would just do pretty much a reverse route back home but going via Two Lads this time.

I was feeling really good and decided to try for a course record off Two Lads so I really went for it.  When I got home and saw my pace I was really elated.  I had run the whole nine miles in a 10.15 pace.

A 10+ minute mile pace might sound slow and if I had run on the roads or trails I would agree, but for the type of run I did, by my standards, this is brilliant, especially over a distance of 9 miles.  When I did Bull Hill fell race last year, which is the best I have ever done in a fell race and made me part of the winning ladies team, I did it in a 10.43 minute mile pace and that was 3.5 miles shorter than the run I did today and didn't have as much climb so I'm really pleased with myself.

Plus I have now reached and exceeded my Strava 200k in June goal.  I also got a few Strava course records today too.  I can have a day off tomorrow now :)

Total distance - 9 miles

http://www.strava.com/activities/159667437

No comments:

Post a Comment