Wednesday 30 July 2014

6 x 1/2 Mile Speed Session

Due to missing the track session last night I parked up at Rivvy Barn this morning with a view to doing some reps along The Street.

I warmed up for a mile which took me to the start line of the Junior Jubilee race, which seemed like a good place to start the reps.  I decided to do 6 x 1/2 mile reps, intending on a 7.30 pace.

The rep from the start line starts off really flat but then at the other side of the dam it starts to go uphill a little.  My first rep was OK but not great, my legs got tired pretty quick.  The second rep, however, starts on a nice downhill so that was much better.

The third was horrific.  I felt like throwing up and I wasn't even going that fast (see below for split pace).  At the end of if, during my 90 minute rest, I was wondering whether to call it a day at just four reps because I felt so rough.  I decided to make my mind up at the end of rep four.

Rep four didn't go too badly, again this is a partially downhill rep, so I decided to stick to my original plan and finish the session I had decided on.

Rep five was awful.  Going up the hill at the other side of the dam was really hard work, even though it isn't much of a hill.  Again, I felt like I was going to chunder.

Rep six took me back to the Jubilee start line, where a great sense of relief came over me that it was all done and I just needed to jog back to the car.

The session wasn't as good as I had hoped with my pace for each rep as follows (the odd number reps had an uphill section and the even numbers a downhill section):

Rep 1 - 7.59
Rep 2 - 7.26
Rep 3 - 8.09
Rep 4 - 7.38
Rep 5 - 8.17
Rep 6 - 7.24

Not great but better than sitting on my backside at home.

I hate doing speed sessions but no pain no gain so it's a necessary evil if I want to get faster.

Total distance - 5 miles

http://www.strava.com/activities/172940369

No comments:

Post a Comment