Friday 27 March 2015

Rockhaven Castle

I went for a lovely run on the tops with Ruby today.  We ran up to Two Lads, then cross-country to the mast and then cross-country over to the Pike.  We haven't done this run in a while because it's been so wet but I thought we'd chance it today as I love going this way and being able to let Ruby off the lead for a lot of the time.  It was pretty boggy but not too bad and I didn't sink at any point.  Ruby needed a bath when we got home though, much to her displeasure.

On our way back home we ran through Wilderswood.

On running along this path in the past I have noticed a sign which says 'Rockhaven Castle'.



When I was in The Rivington pub last Friday night for John Coope's 80th I noticed a picture on the wall of a castle on a hill and underneath it said 'Rockhaven Castle'.  I asked Julie, Gordon's wife, if she knew where it was and she said she thought it used to be in Wilderswood, which would explain the wooden sign I had seen.

When I ran through today, I tried to see if there was anything left of the castle.  I did see some old stones which I have taken pictures of below but whether these are actually remains of the castle or not I have no idea.






If you're interested in reading about the castle here's a link with pictures of how it used to look.  The woods weren't actually there then and it just stood proudly on the hillside.  http://www.about-horwich.co.uk/horwich/about-horwich-Rockhaven_Castle.html


Total distance - 5.15 miles

https://www.strava.com/activities/274855721

No comments:

Post a Comment