Wednesday 11 March 2015

No Added Sugar

As you are probably aware, I have issues with food.  I think about it every minute of every day.  I don't mean in a 'how many calories are in that?' way, I mean in a 'I'm hungry' way.

It's actually starting to get out of hand and I have put on half a stone, despite all the running.  I'm eating up to 3000 calories a day, sometimes more.

I was reading up the other day on somebody else who had this issue but has now overcome it using various techniques.  One of them is something I already do which is to not have any bad food in the house.  The problem with me is I'm easily led so when I'm on my own I'm absolutely fine but if Duncan goes to the shop on his way home from work and comes back with chocolate or cake or something then I can't resist it.  Same at work if somebody brings goodies in, I just lose all willpower and I don't just have a small amount either, I have as much as I possibly can, like it's the last time I'll ever have chance to eat a cake or something.

Anyway, I digress...

Another technique was to stop associating food with exercise, i.e. using running as an excuse to eat badly.  I must admit, I do that A LOT!

The technique I wanted to mention today though was cutting out sugar.  I adore sugar!  I love all things sweet so to cut it out altogether would be a major ask.  However, for the past couple of days I have omitted the syrup from my porridge and just put peanut butter in it instead (100% peanut butter so no added sugar) and haven't put sugar in my tea. Both days I have done this, my porridge has kept me full for much longer.  Yesterday it kept me satisfied all morning until I went out for my giant pizza and today I had my porridge at 7.30 and didn't eat again until nearly 2pm, even though I had run in between those times too.  Normally if I have my porridge at 7.30 I'm hungry again before 10am.

Is it just coincidence and/or all in my head?  We'll just have to see whether it continues to work!

I went for a run on my own this morning, nothing exciting just a flat five miles around Rivington in the pouring rain - it was sunny when I set off!


Total distance - 5 miles

https://www.strava.com/activities/266434536

No comments:

Post a Comment