Thursday 26 March 2015

Biomechanics Appointment


I went for my long awaited biomechanics appointment today at Bolton One.

I have mixed feelings on how it went.

I did get some insoles, however they're not custom moulded and the podiatrist I saw said that the moulded ones aren't any better.  The good news about them not being custom moulded is that if I want any extra pairs they are only £25 (the pair I was given was free on the NHS) which is quite inexpensive and I could do with more pairs so I don't have to keep swapping them between shoes.

The appointment itself wasn't at all what I was expecting though.  I thought that there would be all kinds of tests to try to work out why I always have trouble with my right side and why my right hamstring doesn't 'fire' properly.  All that happened though was that he looked at my feet and the way I stand.  I thought there would be treadmill action and all sorts but I was wrong.

Hopefully the insoles might cure all my problems but it would be nice to know whether the big toe issue I have is more serious and needs looking into.  I can't see that just wearing insoles will magically cure it as it's a really intense shooting pain.  He seemed to think it would though and explained to my why but that's too hard to explain in writing so if you're really that interested you'll just have to ask me when I see you.

I went out in them tonight but just did a couple of miles because I didn't want to do too much on them too soon. They felt really good though and, as I usually wear those Sweatshop insoles (which incidentally are custom moulded) I didn't really find that it different to wear them.  I did notice they gave good arch support though.

I'll remain open minded as to whether they'll be a cure-all but I'm definitely going to have to buy more because he said I should wear them all the time and the thought of keep swapping them into work shoes, casual shoes, road running shoes, fell running shoes, trail running shoes (in winter cross country spikes and Orocs) just doesn't appeal.  Think I need at least four pairs!


Total distance - 2.5 miles 

https://www.strava.com/activities/274409449

No comments:

Post a Comment