Monday 30 March 2015

New Road Shoes/Garmin Sucks!

Kathryn and I went for our canal run early today as Kathryn had a meeting to get to.  As usual, I went out a little early so that I could find a satellite on my Garmin.  I stood freezing half to death whilst my Garmin didn’t bother to even get past the ‘GARMIN’ screen.  I turned it off and on again (typical IT fix-all) but to no avail, it just didn’t want to get past the initial page and start looking for a satellite.  Kathryn came out and so we set off running and a short while in, I looked at my watch and it had finally got to searching for a satellite so I pressed the start key.  Technology really is rubbish and I’m looking forward to my Garmin-free April where I won’t have to stand around freezing to death whilst it searches for satellites.
We went for our usual run and the time seemed to pass really quickly today, probably because we were non-stop nattering. 
This was my first outing in my new Saucony Kinvara 4 shoes which I bought on Saturday.  I must say I’m pretty impressed with my bargain shoes.  They were so lightweight it was like running on air.  
On trying to upload my Garmin later on today, it was taking ages and I couldn’t understand why.  I went onto Garmin Connect and it was telling me that there was three hours of upload time remaining!  I thought it must be uploading the entire content of my Garmin or something, even though I only have one new activity but when I looked closely, all the activities showing on Garmin Connect as being in the process of uploading were all dated today!  There were loads of them!  I only ran once today so have no idea why Garmin thinks I ran 20+ times!  I really am sick of Garmin now.  Their devices are such poor quality and barely last past 12 months if that.  When you pay £230 for something you expect it to work well.  Maybe it knows that I’m planning to go Garmin free for April and it’s rebelling against me?  Next time I buy a GPS (which will probably be soon given that this one has a mind of it’s own) I think I’ll have to go down the Suunto route.  The bloke in the Endurance Store told me that Suunto properly test their products before bringing them out, whereas Garmin just get them out as quickly as possible and then deal with any problems afterwards. 

Total distance – 5.3 miles (only 5 recorded)
https://www.strava.com/activities/276942173

No comments:

Post a Comment