Sunday 8 June 2014

Ruby is a Liar!

I have just realised that this is my 100th blog post.

I had to take Ruby with me on my long run today as Duncan isn't in so I didn't want to have to walk her first and then go for a run, I just wanted to get running.

We set off from home and headed to the top barn.  From there we went across to Sheephouse Lane and then through the kissing gate opposite the stocks, dropping down the steps to Dean Brook.  We then went up by the side of Yarrow Reservoir and ran along until we got to the road, then turned left and down to Anglezarke.  We ran around Anglezarke with the intention of coming out at Waterman's Cottage but, as we got to the field which is usually full of sheep, you guessed it, it was full of cows instead!  They were actually on the path too so that was that and we had to turn round. This is getting pretty ridiculous now.  I was going to title this post 'The Cows Strike Back', but I knew that any nerds reading this would correct me on my order of Star Wars themed titles.

We turned round and took a different route back to Knowsley Road, going past High Bullough Reservoir.  After coming back out onto Knowsley Road we went up the hill on the bend which takes you back up to Yarrow Reservoir and then went back down to Dean Brook, up the steps, through the kissing gate and back onto Sheephouse Lane.

We headed back up towards the barn then turned left and ran up behind it and round to the steep path that takes you out on 'the driveway', where we then crossed over and went up the even steeper path that brings you out at the Pigeon Tower.

Ruby had been VERY slow on this run. I put it down to the heat this morning but, strangely, she didn't seem to want to drink anything.  We passed loads of streams, puddles and reservoirs but she wasn't interested, even when I stopped and tried to encourage her to drink.

By the time we got onto George's Lane, she was just trundling behind me.  The thing is, as the title suggests,  she's a little liar. She pretends to be tired and trots along behind me making people feel sorry for her because it looks like I'm just dragging her along but then when she sees another dog, squirrel or sheep in the distance, she legs it past me and tries to get to them (she doesn't seem to have grasped the fact that she's on a lead yet).

During our run I thought about this a bit and then decided, aren't we all a bit like that?  We're totally knackered in a race and half dead but then we see the finish line in the distance and all of a sudden there's a new found energy which enables us to get that sprint finish that we would never have thought we had in us a couple of minutes earlier.

From George's Lane we just headed back home at a very slow pace indeed.

Total distance - 10 miles

http://www.strava.com/activities/150872441/overview

No comments:

Post a Comment