Thursday 26 June 2014

Speeding (not me though)!

After a lovely lunch with my great friends, I wanted to get a decent run in to burn off the cappuccino cake (which was delicious by the way) so I headed off in the car with Ruby towards Anglezarke with the aim of getting around 6 miles in.

I was driving along Lever Park Avenue at about 32mph heading towards the school, when I noticed that the 20mph lights were flashing.  Just as I started to ease off (so was still doing 30mph) a Saab came flying past me.  It had come out of nowhere because I had looked in my mirror only moments before and it was nowhere in sight.  It must have been doing at the very least 50mph - in a 20mph school zone!  Clearly I made a hand gesture out of the window to the moron driving, who I noticed nearly took out a cyclist a bit further along the road.

We arrived on the dam on Knowsley Lane and parked up.  We headed towards Anglezarke car park and then followed the path by the side of the reservoir.  I really love that path through the woodland.  It's ideal for a nice easy run.  At the start we were going pretty well but, as usual, Ruby soon began to tire.  By the time we had got down to Watermans Cottage she was just trundling behind me so I decided to abort the run towards White Coppice and just head back to the car on the other side of the Reservoir.  We climbed the steps around the corner from Watermans Cottage and then crossed through the field out onto the path by Healey Nab.  This path seems to go on for ages before it comes out onto the road.

When we got onto the road we ran along and, where the road bends to the right, I usually go over the stile on the left and through the farm fields, coming out opposite The Street, but today I decided to follow the road instead as I've never been that way.  This brought us out at the Yew Tree and perhaps added a small amount of distance.  I was still slightly disappointed when I got back to the car though to have done less than 4.5 miles.  I set myself a Strava goal to do 200k in the month of June and at the minute I'm 14 miles off (sorry for mixing kms with miles) which sounds easy to get to in four more days but I'm going away at the weekend and am not sure if I'll fit any running in.  I'll also only have time to do 5 miles maximum tomorrow so I'm not sure if I'll make it to that 200k mark.  I'll have a good go though.  Going to travel in my running gear on Saturday so Duncan can just kick me out and go wait in a pub a few miles down the road for me if I have to.

On my way home there was yet more bad driving, this time the opposite though, well at the start anyway.  I was following a car doing 25mph all the way along from the barn towards the school, even when the road straightens out.  It's a national speed limit road at this point!  I was in no rush though so wasn't too bothered but the thing that got me the most was that as soon as we passed through the 30mph sign the car sped up!  I slowed down to just over 30 and that zoomed off ahead of me doing at least 40!

Anyway, sorry for the rants, just felt the need to share.

Total distance - 4.4 miles

http://www.strava.com/activities/158484559

No comments:

Post a Comment