Monday 2 June 2014

Love Running, Hate Racing!

That's pretty much how I'm feeling at the minute.  In fact, it's pretty much how I've always felt.  I kept racing because I thought I'd learn to enjoy it, but it just hasn't happened yet.  Every weekend that I have a race planned, I'm filled with dread and don't look forward to the weekend.

I think I'm going to knock racing on the head for a bit because I'm really enjoying just running at the minute.  No pressure, just lovely runs at whatever pace I choose.

I don't actually know why I hate racing though and I really don't want to give it up for ever, I just think I want a break and time to build up my speed, strength and stamina a bit and feel more confident and ready to race.

I think it's probably because I'm quite self-conscious as when I think about doing local races I'm filled with dread but when I think about doing a race far away where nobody knows me, I feel OK about it.  Weird I know, but if you regularly read this blog then you'll know that I am pretty weird so it shouldn't really be a surprise.

I've just upgraded my Strava account to premium as it's free for 30 days so that'll help to keep me motivated although, like I said, I'm actually really enjoying just running without any pressure at the minute.

Tonight, my calves were still pretty tight from the weekend runs so I just went for a nice easy run to the top barn with Ruby.  We ran to the barn via Rivvy School and then went out onto Sheephouse Lane, down towards the tea rooms, but then back in towards the top barn again, then home.

There was a HUGE amount of squirrels out and about tonight so Ruby was trying to dart off after them left right and centre which was pretty annoying.  She doesn't seem to realise that she's on a lead and can only get so far.  Bless her, she's not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Total distance - 4 miles

http://www.strava.com/activities/148715144

No comments:

Post a Comment