Friday 20 June 2014

How Do I Get Out of This Field?

Working from home again today (seems to always be a Friday these days, which is nice!) so Duncan dropped me off again on his way to work.  He dropped me at the same place as usual, the gate off Rivington Road into the fields which we call 'Old Rachel's'.

Instead of doing my usual route today though, over towards Higher Hempshaws and Simms, I took a left turn instead of a right with a view to heading back towards Sheephouse Lane and the campsite.  All was going well until I got to a crossing of paths with a wooden signpost and decided to take the right hand path.  This took me over a stile and into a field, heading towards a penned off area full of horses.  After running along the side of the fence I couldn't find a way out and seemed to be heading towards Simms, which I didn't want to go to so I turned around and ran back to the signpost and followed the route the other way which took me onto a defined path.  After following the path, I went over a stile into a field of sheep where the path no longer existed. I couldn't find any well trodden route either but the arrow on the stile pointed me right so I stayed along the edge of the field and kept going.  I got all the way to the end though and couldn't find a way out so carried on along the fence and ended up going in a circle.  I then found a gate which took me out onto the road, which I assumed, correctly, to be Sheephouse Lane.  I was just around the corner from the campsite so I ran down towards Lead Mines Clough.

Before getting to Lead Mines Clough, I turned off into the fields on the left and ran along until I got to Dean Brook, then ran into Rivington and along to the top barn.

When I was heading towards home, I heard a big rustle to the side of me and assumed it was a clumsy squirrel but out ran a beautiful deer right across my path.  It was so close I could have reached out and touched it.  Really made my day!

Total distance - 5 miles

http://www.strava.com/activities/155815968

No comments:

Post a Comment