Saturday 28 June 2014

Stickle Tarn or as I like to call it 'a big hill'

Duncan really had a bee in his bonnet about going camping this weekend as we have never taken Ruby before and I'm not sure whether she ever went camping with Sean and Maria before we had her so he wanted to see how she would take to it.  We left early morning and headed up to the Lakes with no real plan in mind for where we were going to camp.  We drove up to Ambleside and then headed across to the Langdales.  Duncan decided he wanted to go for a walk up Stickle Tarn, which he hasn't done since he was a kid. Apparently this is one of the most, if not THE most, climbed hill in the Lake District, so we felt a bit touristy but I've never climbed it before so I was definitely up for it.

I decided to work on my climbing and run up it, but with stops for Duncan and Ruby to catch up to me.  I also walked some of it with them because it would have been a bit rude for me to come out for a nice walk with Duncan but then bugger off and leave him. I actually felt really good running it though and was quite pleased with myself.

Ruby really does have issues with crossing water, which is quite amusing.  There was a bit where we had to cross the ghyll over stones and boulders and Ruby was having none of it.  She was terrified even though it was only a short jump from stone to stone.  We had to pick her up and carry her across them all.  She's like that when going over a slatted bridge too.  Bless.

Once we reached the top, I decided to have a little run along whilst Duncan and Ruby had a well earned rest (don't forget Duncan is only six months post his hip replacement so is only just getting back into walking and this was definitely a challenging walk).  I just ran out for a short way then turned back again.

We had only put a couple of quid in the parking meter as it's all we had on us, which only gave us two hours to complete the walk so we had to get a wiggle on going back down.

I actually found it harder going down than up to begin with as it was really steep and rocky.  A short way down we got chatting to a bloke and I said 'anyway, we need to dash as we only have 20 minutes left on our parking ticket' to which he replied, 'you'll never get back down there in 20 minutes' so obviously I took this as a personal challenge, asked Duncan for the car keys and told him I'd see him back at the car.  I took Ruby with me and off we went.  So many people commented to us about how amazing it was that we were running because it was difficult enough walking.  It made me feel really proud and motivated.

I'm pleased to say that not only did I get back to the car inside 20 minutes, I did it in 15!  Still feeling good and knowing Duncan was a way behind me, I ran down a lane and back so that I could make the run up to a  nice round three miles.  Duncan didn't arrive until 20 minutes later though so I'm a bit gutted that I didn't run further but nevermind, there's always tomorrow.

Later in the day we drove out to my favourite place in the whole of the Lake District - Wasdale.  We went in the Screes in and asked about camping.  They had a campsite there at the pub which was only £10 per night (that was altogether, for both of us and Ruby!) so we couldn't argue with that as most places in the Lakes are really expensive.  The facilities are basic but we were only staying for one night so it wasn't a problem.  They were clean and that's all that matters.

After we set up camp we drove out to the lake.  I love it there as it's so peaceful and quiet and there aren't many places in the Lakes like that, which is why we usually go to Scotland instead.  Here's a few piccies I took whilst we sat out by the side of the lake and chilled:


Duncan and Ruby:


A rather blurry selfie:

Later on we went back to the Screes Inn for our tea and a few drinks and then went to bed around 10am.  The campsite was lovely, except for one thing - a family of chavs all dressed in their onesies.  There were three young kids with them all running riot and we just heard constant shouts from the mother of 'Destiny, be quiet!'.  When we went to bed I overheard the mum telling the kids they had to be quiet now as people in other tents were trying to sleep, which I thought was very considerate of her.  However, no less than ten minutes later the kids were totally silent but the mum, another girl and two blokes were making loads of noise.  Laughing really loud, shouting and listening to a TV I think and this went on until about 1am.  Why would a family like that choose this kind of campsite that has absolutely no children's facilities whatsoever?

Anyway, other than their noise, it was a lovely camping trip.

Total distance - 3 miles

http://www.strava.com/activities/159667438

No comments:

Post a Comment