Saturday 21 June 2014

Coope's (Baker's) Dozen

Today, I UTUP'd with the WFDBWGUA lot to do an extended version of the Coope's Dozen.  For anyone new to my blog the Coope's Dozen is a local run which takes in 12 summits around the West Pennine Moors and I did my first one a few weeks ago which you can read about here http://6legs2heads.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/coopes-dozen-unofficial.html

That blog details each summit.  The difference today was that we added in Darwen Tower between Old Adams and Great Hill.  We though this would add a further five miles, taking the total to 23.5 miles but it added a bit more, taking the total to 25 miles.  If you look at my Strava stats, however  (below), you'll see that it doesn't quite get this far but that's because my battery died, moments from the end of the run.

At the start there was myself, Pauline, John and Ed Swift.  Pauline wasn't doing the whole route and wasn't planning to do the trip over to Darwen Tower, however, she did take some excellent photos along the first half of the route, like this one:

Photo courtesy of Pauline Charters

I felt so much stronger on this run than I did on the Coope's Dozen a few weeks back, even though this one was much further.  I could actually have carried on and run further, even though I had already run 6.5 miles further than my longest ever run.

One of the highlights of the run is when John and I arrived at the summit of Great Hill, where there was a group of D of E kids sat around who were in total awe that we had run to the top.  They just couldn't believe it and were even more impressed when John told them how far we had run and were planning to run.  John said, and I agree, that it really restores your faith in today's youth as most of the time you just get laughed at and given grief from kids and aren't idolised by them at all.

I briefly left Ed and John just as we arrived back into Rivington Village as I wanted to make a mad dash for the barn before my battery died on my Garmin as it had been beeping at me for a good hour and a half by now and I wanted to make sure it recorded the entire run but, unfortunately I didn't make it, the battery dying just as I turned onto the track to the barn.  The lads weren't far behind me though and I think we all may have made it back in under 8 hours.

Sorry for how short this blog post is, given how long the run was, but I'm totally exhausted and just want a good lie down now.  It really was an epic adventure and I loved every minute of it, even though my legs are now very red and blotchy and covered in cuts and scrapes from the undergrowth. 

I had such a lovely time and great company.  Can't wait for the next one.  What are we adding in next time - Peel Monument?

Does anybody know why the stats on Strava are totally different to the stats on Garmin, even though they ave uploaded from the same device?  For example, Strava says our total 'moving' time was only 6 hours 10 minutes but Garmin says it was 7 hours which is a hell of a difference.  I assume Garmin is the one to believe?  The elevation is also different by around 400ft and calories are different by nearly 1,000!!!

Total distance 25 miles

http://www.strava.com/activities/156398945

No comments:

Post a Comment