Thursday 23 October 2014

Worrying About Worrying

Tonight I went to the Harriers hill session, something I really need to make an effort to get to more often.

Steve took the mickey out of me a lot tonight for something I know I'm extremely guilty of - worrying.  He asked whether I worry about not having anything to worry about.  He has a good point, I really do worry about absolutely everything.

I'm meeting Steve and Clare on Sunday for a run and I'm even worried about that because I'm bothered that I'll slow them down and ruin their run.  I get this when I run with other people, which is why I prefer to go solo but I know I need to change this and get over my fears as running with others can and should be really enjoyable.

I also had a discussion with both Steve and Clare tonight about how hit and miss I am with running.  Everybody has 'off'' days, but 50% of my days seem to be off days.  That might be a slight exaggeration but I really do have an awful lot of off days.  Steve commented on how well I climbed up Stickle Ghyll the other week and left the others behind and I told him that I was feeling really good that day and full of energy, although about five days before I had been out with the WFDBWGUA group on a Saturday morning and not only was I struggling to run up moderate hills but I could barely even walk up them.  It's bizarre and I wonder if anybody else gets this?  It's another of the reasons I fear going running with others, in case I have one of my off days and ruin the whole run.

Anyway, the session itself involved starting from Gingham Brow and running up to the bus stop after Georges's Lane.  We had to do 60 seconds of hard effort with 30 seconds recovery in between.  I could have gone out harder than I did but, true to form, I worried about pushing myself too hard before the race on Saturday and didn't want to tire myself out too much.

I really need to make more progress with my Chimp Paradox book but that's a story for another day's blog.


Total Distance - 5.1 miles

http://www.strava.com/activities/210806859

No comments:

Post a Comment