Sunday 5 October 2014

Spoiling Ruby

This morning Duncan, Ruby and had a little trip up to the Lakes.  We had planned this last weekend and midway through the week I realised that it was the Ian Hodgson Fell Relays in Patterdale so we decided to go along to cheer on the Horwich RMI team.

We arrived at the start/finish area in Patterdale and had a natter with Andy, Tim, Mick and another Andy (I think, I'm not sure though as I haven't spoken to him before) as they were waiting to head off to the start points for their legs.

Mick told us where the next couple of changeover points where so we could park up and go along to cheer on the guys.  Unfortunately though, we couldn't park anywhere!  We didn't have a permit so they wouldn't let us park up at the checkpoints so, after driving round for a while, we decided to just get on with our day out and we drove over to Ambleside.  Touristy I know but Duncan wanted a couple of things from outdoor shops and there are so many in Ambleside it seemed like a good bet.

As usual, I succumbed to impulse purchasing and ended up buying Ruby a lovely new Ruffwear harness and a hands free lead.  I already have a hands free lead, but it's too heavy for little Ruby and the one I bought today is much more lightweight.

We then had a little drive out and went for a pint and some lunch in a pub called The Crown in Higher Newton as Duncan wanted to bring back some memories from when he was a kid and stayed in the B&B there on family holidays.

After that we just had a leisurely drive back home via Asda where we had a good natter with Josie in the bread aisle.  Josie encouraged me to join them for a run tomorrow night from the bottom barn so hopefully I'll be able to get to that.  The only problem with it is that it's at 6pm so it would involve leaving Ruby on her own for a little bit until Duncan gets home which, as she is on her own all day whilst we're at work, I don't really like doing but it will only be for 10 minutes or so so hopefully I'll be able to man up and leave the house whilst those sad brown puppy eyes stare at me begging me not to go.

Obviously when we got home I had to try out Ruby's new gear so we went for a short plod around Rivington. The harness and lead worked really well so looking forward to using that more and stopping the shoulder ache I get when Ruby suddenly runs off after sheep.  Now she'll probably just put my back out instead!

Total Distance - 4.5 miles

http://www.strava.com/activities/203728721

No comments:

Post a Comment