Monday 6 October 2014

Head Torches and Film Crews

I couldn't think of a title for today's blog.  I wanted to do a play on Josie and the Pussycats but Duncan looked at me blankly and said 'what does that mean' and then informed me that nobody would have heard of Josie and the Pussycats so wouldn't get it.  Is he right?  Or is he just young?

Anyway, tonight I met up with Josie, Albert, Tony V, Tony M, Andy and Darren on their regular Monday night run from the lower barn.

      Photo courtesy of Albert Sunter

We set off and zigzagged through the terraced gardens up to George's Lane, which was full of film crew!  Apparently they are making a film (A Monster Calls?) staring Liam Neeson and Sigourney Weaver but we didn't get a glimpse of them.

We were unable to go up to the pike the way we wanted because of the film crew so we ran along to the gate and along to the steps.  As per my promise, I ran all the way to the top but was knackered when I got there.

After a short rest, we ran down to George's Lane and along to the kennels then up to Two Lads.  Half way up, I got tired and started to walk but Albert and Tony encouraged me on and convinced me to keep running, even if it was very slowly, which I did and soon got onto the top.  Most of the climbing was now over and lots of lovely downhill awaited.

From Two Lads we ran cross country to the mast then up the mast road, past the trig point and to the top of the 'diagonal'.  It was now time to break out the head torches.  It was that annoying light really, which was too light for torches, but too dark to be able to see well.

Head torches donned, we ran off down the diagonal onto Belmont Road.  Now came a section I have never done before.  We crossed straight over Belmont Road, climbed over a fence and ran along a kind of sheep trod, even though there are apparently no sheep in that area anymore.  We came to a barbed wire fence which Josie vaulted over with ease, whereas I was left pansying around trying not to snag my brand new 2XU's.

After a bit more running I finally realised where we were, just down from Dangerous Corner.  We ran along through the woods and into Pigeon Tower car park and from there headed back to the cars, with a little horseplay from some of the guys along the way.

After being quite nervous beforehand at the thought of running with this bunch of speed demons, I had a really enjoyable evening and will definitely be out again.

Thanks guys for all the encouragement.

Total Distance - 6.17 miles

http://www.strava.com/activities/204137365

No comments:

Post a Comment