Saturday 11 October 2014

Floating Mast

I met up with the guys this morning, even though I had said last week that I wouldn't be at the UTUP due to a cross country race but I decided not to bother with the race as I'm racing tomorrow as well so thought a nice run with good company was in order instead this morning.

Today there was myself, Ed, John S, Kev and John Coope, who hasn't been running with us for a while so it was really good to see him.

We started off by running up to the Pike and from there we went down to George's Lane and across to Two Lads.  John C didn't join us for this bit and instead went straight over to Hordern Stoops from the Pike.

When we reached Two Lads, I took a photo of Ed, John S and Kev with the mast seemingly floating in the background...



From Two Lads we went cross country to the mast where it was really thick with fog and I was running up front and couldn't see the guys behind me even though I could hear them really clearly so knew they weren't far behind.  I saw a runner coming towards me wearing the exact same gear as John C had been wearing and I was convinced it was him until he got within a couple of metres of me.  It wasn't though.

We reached the mast and then headed up the road to the trig point and then down the diagonal onto Belmont Road.  We then ran along to Rivington Road and met up with John C at Hordern Stoops.

We all then ran along to Higher Hempshaws and followed the path to Lead Mines Clough, where we climbed up to the bomber memorial before running back down and along to the road.

We turned left on the road and decided to have a race up the hill to the stile on the right.  I jetted off waaaaaay too fast and soon ran out of steam, being overtaken by Ed who, when we reached the stile, I was a little worried was going to collapse in a big heap.

We then ran along to Dean Brook and back up into Rivington Green.  Ed and John S decided they wanted to get some extra mileage in and headed for the top barn, whilst the rest of us went back to the cars at the bottom barn.

On our return to the cars, John C, Kev and I went in for a well deserved cappuccino where we bumped into Ray McGloin and had a good post-run natter.

Photo courtesy of Ray McGloin


As usual, a most enjoyable Saturday morning.

Total Distance - 9.35 miles

http://www.strava.com/activities/205909301

No comments:

Post a Comment