Thursday 30 October 2014

First Solo Head Torch Run of the Winter


As the title suggests, this was the first time this winter I have ventured out with just Ruby in the dark.  I have done it many times before of course as I ran all last winter in the dark but there's something a bit nerve-racking about the first one after a long break.  The nerves quickly went away though once we got going. 
We only did a quick run tonight as I was going out for my mum’s 65th birthday and I had already left the house later than I had planned.  We just ran to the school then along to the top barn, did a loop and came back again.  The great thing about running in the dark is that I can see other people who potentially have a dog with them before Ruby does because I will see their torch light up ahead.  This meant that I could let Ruby off the lead and have more of a chance of getting her back on it again if somebody came along.  I let her off once we had turned off the road by the school and I didn’t have to put her back on again until we got back to that spot as we didn’t see a single other person, another one of the joys of running in the dark – people tend to stick to walking their dogs on the roads instead.
I decided tonight though that I think I need to invest in a better torch to see me through the winter as, although my Led Lenser is OK and gives a decent amount of light, it's not very sturdy and when running downhill the torch flops down and points to my nose, which isn't ideal when running downhill at a bit of speed.  I'm going to treat myself to a Hope!  Goodbye cash! 
Total distance – 3.4 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment