Wednesday 8 October 2014

Ruby! What am I going to do with you???

Easy run with Ruby tonight just along to the top barn, pigeon tower car park, zigzagged up to the pigeon tower, then headed home along George's Lane.

When I was nearing Wylderswoode Stud, a couple were coming up the other way with a greyhound.  The girl approached me and said that Ruby bit the greyhound last week.  I do remember this as I commented on it to Duncan when I got home and had really yelled at Ruby because she has never bit a dog like that before. She sometimes give them a quick snap on the nose, but with this greyhound she bit its undercarriage.

Anyway, the girl told me that later on they noticed that the dog was cut and has had to be patched up and was wearing a cone for a few days.  She showed me the plaster still on the dogs stomach. I was mortified.  I apologised profusely and offered to pay for any vets bills but they wouldn't hear of it and just advised me to keep her on the lead so she doesn't do it again.

I keep thinking about getting her a muzzle because of this but I'm worried that then she can't defend herself if something attacks her.

Does anyone have any ideas at all what I can do to stop her?  I rarely let her off the lead and, if I do, as soon as I see another dog I get her back on but this time she saw the dog before I did.

I know the answer is to never let her off the lead but it just seems such a rubbish solution.  I really wish there was a way I could train this out of her but she's just too set in her ways.

The conversation left me feeling really disheartened but it was good to know that there are nice people around as there are quite a lot of people who would have been yelling at me and demanding compensation. I wouldn't have blamed them if they had!!!


Total distance - 5.1 miles

http://www.strava.com/activities/204886245

No comments:

Post a Comment