Tuesday 29 December 2015

Garmin Forerunner 15 - How Does it Know???

I bought myself a new Garmin the other day, just a cheap one to use as a backup for when the battery runs out on my 610.

It's a Forerunner 15 and it's a pretty basic watch but has a daily activity tracker thing on it.  I'm not really interested in that function as it's all about daily number of steps taken and I'm pretty sure I take enough steps during the day not to have to worry about these things.  It also reminds me to get up and move when I've been inactive for a certain length of time, which might actually come in handy at the office when I'm engrossed in my work.

It also has a sleep analysis thing on it which I thought I'd try out last night as I'm always tired and put it down to not sleeping very deeply.  Turns out, I was right.  Well, according to my watch anyway. Here's a print out of my night's sleep, which shows that of the 9 hours 20 minutes I was asleep, I was only in a deep sleep for 23 minutes of this.



What gets me though is, how did it know when I fell asleep?  I get how it knows when I got up because obviously I started walking around, but how did it know I went to sleep at 11.40 given that, last night, I went to bed at 9.30 but then read for a couple of hours???  How did it not start my sleep cycle from when I became inactive at 9.30?  Magic!

And before anyone says it, it isn't based on heart rate because I wasn't wearing a HRM.

Don't worry though, I'm not going to get all obsessive about my sleep patterns like I do about my running stats. Honest!

Today's run was just an easy one with Ruby through the mud.  I had only intended on doing my regular five mile route with her but we were enjoying ourselves and so went a little further.  We ran up from home to Two Lads, then cross country to the mast where we stopped for a quick chat with Gary and Doug.

It was then down to the shooting hut and up to Smithills reservoir, then down onto Coal Pit Road and back to the mast road, to the water tanks, then down through Wilderswood and home.

Lovely day to be out and now looking forward to a few drinks and some grub with good friends tonight!


Total distance - 7.15 miles

1 comment:

  1. ...and what does it get up to, once it knows you're soundly asleep?

    ReplyDelete