Sunday 6 December 2015

Blown Away


Having been out drinking the previous two nights, I wasn’t expecting much from today’s run.  I didn’t quite get up early enough to meet up with any of the guys who run from the barn so I set off on my own, heading up to George’s Lane.  After only a few minute I was boiling so took my gloves and wind proof jacket off.  Once on George’s Lane, however, it was blowing a gale so the layers went back on. 

I ran up to the water tanks, which is when the heavens opened.  I had to get my wind proof off and swap it for my water proof, which was easier said that done as the wind was really strong and was threatening to rip the water proof from my hands and send it sailing off over Winter Hill.  Eventually, I managed to swap jackets and continued on my way, turning right towards the mast road.  The short trail to the mast road has a small channel at the side of it with a stream and the wind was so strong that it blew me down into the channel!  I managed to stay on my feet though and made my way back out and onto the road.

I then ran along the trails past the farm and out onto Coal Pit Road, which I ran along all the way past the trespass stone, to the little wooden bridge over the stream which leads up a short steep hill to the far end of the secret reservoir.  Again, the wind was really strong on top of here and I did feel I was in danger of being blown into the reservoir, which would not be very pleasant!

I managed to hold my ground though and ran along the side of the reservoir and down towards the shooting hut.  I then started along the path up to the mast, where I bumped into Josie, Erica and Mark coming in the opposite direction.  I was quite envious because, not only were they running downhill, they were also running with the wind, whereas I was being pushed back by it.  I could barely see a thing as I had my hood up but the driving rain and wind were blowing it into my eyes and also making me squint so I kept tripping over things.  After a brief chat with the guys and deciding it was too cold to be hanging around gabbing, I carried on up to the mast. 

By now I was really cold.  I had originally intended to drop down from the mast road towards Hordern Stoops and make my way over to Lead Mines Clough before returning home but I was so cold now that I changed my mind and went down the diagonal with the intention of then running back along George’s Lane to home.  

Once I got down the diagonal and had been running along George’s Lane for a few minutes, I had warmed up and now regretted not going further.  Just to add a bit of mileage, I went up to the Pike but then came back down the curly route and back to the pigeon tower then ran down the path to the side of it (which was more like a waterfall than a path!) and then zigzagged back up to the pigeon tower through terraced gardens. 

As I then started heading home and was rounding the bottom of the Pike, I bumped into Mike and Brian on their way back to the barn (pretty embarrassing as I think I still had half of last night’s make up on!).  They said that they had waited for me this morning to join them on their run so I felt a bit guilty for not turning up and lazing in bed instead.  I soon got over the guilt though J

Before reaching home, I treated myself to a run through my favourite field, and nearly slipped onto my backside at one point because of all the mud!

Total distance – 10.15 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment