Tuesday 7 April 2015

Two Lads or Three Lads?

I went for a short run with Ruby in the sunshine tonight, just up to Two Lads and back.

As I was running up there, I tried to remember whether there had been three cairns there when I first went up years ago or whether the third cairn was new.  I just couldn't remember!  I seem to think the third one has only been put there quite recently but am I right?

Wikipedia says:

Two Lads

Two memorial cairns on the hill are known as Wilder Lads or Two Lads. There are differing opinions on why they were erected. Details of the site were recorded in 1776 and 1883. Thomas Hampson in 1883 described 'Two Lads' as the graves of two children of a Saxon king, Edgar and recorded that Winter Hill was previously known as Edgar Hill. The cairns could mark the site on which two boys lost their way on the moor and died of exposure in a snowstorm.

So there is only reference to the two cairns and not the third one.  Has somebody randomly just built this for the fun of it?

On researching a bit more, I came across an incredibly interesting website about Winter Hill, etc http://www.landscapebritain.co.uk/section/5041/winter-hill/

Who knew Shaly Dingle was so steeped in history?


Approximate distance - 3 miles 

No comments:

Post a Comment