Sunday 19 April 2015

Today's Run and Weekend Overview

Still feeling motivated, I fancied a bit of cross training on Friday and so went to Chorley for the spin at altitude class.  Josie, Suzanne and Nadine also went so we had a fun group.  Unfortunately Erica couldn’t make it because she had visited Maria earlier in the day and her foot isn’t looking too good at the minute so she was resting up.  Hope it gets sorted soon Erica!

I can't believe the amount of sweat which dripped off my nose during that class, it was just pouring out!   

I have realised lately that when I'm struggling with a hard exercise session, it's always my legs which tire before the rest of me.  I can still have loads of energy and not be out of breath but my legs will just stop working.  Think I need to get some strength training into them.

With that in mind, yesterday I did one of my workout DVDs (I have over 50, sad as that may sound).  I did one of Nell McAndrew's DVDs, which are really hard work and fast paced.  There were quite a lot of squats in it which should be good for building the leg strength.  I have to take them quite slowly though as I need to focus on my form when squatting because otherwise my knees bow inwards which is a recipe for injury.  


* * * * * * * * * * * *


This morning I went out with the Lostock lot again from the lower barn.  Out today were Ray, John, Brian, Mark, Mike, Scott and Niall.  They looked a speedy lot so I knew I was in for a tough session and I wasn't wrong!

We set off through Rivington and turned in past the bowling club, heading over to White Coppice.  When we were running alongside Anglezarke my left leg was starting to feel weird again and I thought I might have to turn back but it seemed to ease off a bit after that.  I really don't know what's wrong with it as it isn't pain, it's more of a numbness/tingling feeling in the calf.  A bit like a dead leg.  I get it whether I run or don't so haven't bothered stopping running.  

We had a little rest at White Coppice for a photo opportunity... 



Photo courtesy of Ray McGloin
L to R - Brian, John, Mike, Scott, Mark, Niall, me


From White Coppice we started the climb up to Great Hill.  I was running at the back until Ray stopped to take a photo and then rejoined us behind me.  All I kept thinking was 'Please overtake me so that I can walk without anybody noticing' but he stayed at the back.  Even though I was willing him to pass I'm so glad he didn't because I kept on running and didn't walk so obviously I was more capable than I thought.  This is the joy of running with others! 

I managed to run all the way up to Great Hill, which I have done many times before but usually at a slower pace. 

Another short rest and photo opportunity on Great Hill...

Photo courtesy of Ray McGloin
L to R - me, Scott, Ray, Mark, Mike, Brian, Niall


We then ran along the flagging towards Spitlers.  I can't tell whether that's a smile on my face or a grimace.  

Photo courtesy of Ray McGloin
L to R - Mark, Scott, me 


Another photo at Hordern Stoops before the big climb!

Photo courtesy of Ray McGloin
L to R - Scott, me, John, Brian, Mike, Mark, Niall


Ray and Scott left us at this point as they had to get back to the barn quickly and the rest of us were heading off up and over.  I can't believe they made me run up the steep path up to the top of Winter Hill.  They're evil this lot! 

I was absolutely exhausted going up here and was practically crawling on all fours at one point.  John gave me his great coaching advice about keeping a steady pace though and eventually I made it to the top.  Pretty much all down hill from here.  Or it would have been if they hadn't thrown in Two Lads and the Pike before letting me rest! 

I can't believe I managed to run all the way up the Pike (albeit very slowly) as I was absolutely knackered by now.  As you probably know, I made a promise that I would never walk up the Pike though so I had to stick to it.  

Yippee, downhill now! 

We ran along to the Pigeon Tower and then down the muddy path to the side of it, which is where I took a tumble.  I actually did a somersault on my head so it's a good job it was on the grassy bit to the side of the rough track and not actually on the track or else it might have hurt a bit.  I banged both knees, my left hip, left elbow and my head.  John heard my 'aaarrgghhhh' but nobody actually saw anything so dignity was still in tact - except that I told them all about it anyway! 

As we were heading down the lane from the top barn back to the bottom barn, all of a sudden a huge burst of speed came from everyone and I found myself doing a sprint finish.  What's that all about?  Seriously, I think they're trying to kill me. 

Really enjoyed the run and am now sat on the couch barely able to move but it's all good training!  

I might not be able to make it next week and then am on holiday for both weeks after so please don't think it's because I didn't enjoy it and don't want to go again - I'll definitely be back the week after!  

Thanks again guys, you really pushed me on and made me work.


Total distance - 13.1 miles

https://www.strava.com/activities/288340691/overview


No comments:

Post a Comment