Friday 10 April 2015

Bolton Hill Marathon Recce - Part 2

I ran up to Wilderswood car park at 11.30 this morning to meet Maggie for part 2 of her Bolton Hill Marathon recce.  I had looked at the route this morning so already knew where I was going as it was all very familiar to me so left it to Maggie to do all the navigating.

We were also joined by the legendary John Parker as I had mentioned to him at last night's hill session that we were meeting for the recce so he decided to come and join us.

We set off along George's Lane, following it round to the right after the Pigeon Tower.  We ran all the way to the end and out onto Rivington Road, then went along to the little car park and through the kissing gate on the path to Spitlers.  We didn't go to Spitlers though and followed the left grassy path which eventually drops down into Higher Hempshaws.

From there we ran all the way along the path through Simms into Lead Mines Clough.

We took a short detour from the race route here to show Maggie the bomber memorial as she had never been up to it before.

After a brief history lesson we ran back down again and continued on the race route, which took us up the hill and along to Jepson's Gate.  From there it was straight ahead onto the road and then all the way down to just before Waterman's Cottage, which was as far as we were going on this part of the route today.  The route does continue into White Coppice and beyond but we headed back now along a later section of the race route.

We ran alongside Anglezarke Reservoir which, for some reason, even though it's reasonably flat, always seems really tough going.  I think it's because I always do this bit when I'm really tired and on my way home.  The worst bit is the tarmac path at the side of the reservoir which comes out onto the road and seems to be never-ending.

After leaving the reservoir trail, we had to run up Parsons Bullough Road and then turned onto the path on the right, alongside Yarrow Reservoir.  From here, we ran all the way along the reservoir, coming out at the bowling green, before running up past the prep school and along to the barn.

As we were passing the prep school I had to have an energy gel because I was starting to struggle.  Usually I hate energy gels but this one was delicious!  It was called raspberry ripple and it tasted exactly the same as the stuff you put on top of ice cream.  It probably was the stuff you put on top of ice cream but at 10 times the price!

From the barn, we went along the path alongside the road, coming out at the car park near the school. We took the muddy path up at the left side of the school, out onto Roynton Road (the path that leads to the top barn).  We turned right here and then left onto the concrete road up to the farm on the pike race route.  We did the pike race route all the way up to George's Lane and I got up there miles better than I did the other day when I was doing my pike race recce, which considering I was 12 miles in at this point is pretty ridiculous!

From there it was just along and back to Wilderswood car park where John and Maggie were parked and I just ran back through the woods from here.

It was an excellent run out with great company and lovely weather!  Lots of good advice given by John regarding pace and climbing which I'll definitely be taking on board.

The only bit of the route we haven't done now is a very short 4.7 mile section through White Coppice.


Total distance - 14.4 miles (which includes my run to/from Wilderswood car park)

https://www.strava.com/activities/282727610

No comments:

Post a Comment