Wednesday 24 February 2016

Smoking Pike

This morning, Duncan again dropped Ruby and I off at Wallsuches.  I know it's a bit of a cop out avoiding running up to George's Lane from my house but I really do dislike that run and would rather avoid it and warm up on the flat before climbing.

We ran along Wallsuches and up past the old quarry, coming out at the layby on George's Lane opposite the houses.  We then ran along and up to Two Lads.  From there, we took the 'boggy route' over to the mast, which wasn't boggy today as the ground was so frozen.  It is a little unnerving when the ground is creaking under your feet though and sounds a bit hollow!

We got to the mast then carried on up the mast road to the trig point then ran down the diagonal.  Again, it was really frozen coming down the diagonal and was a potential ankle breaker, not helped by Ruby keep stopping in front of me.

At the bottom, we turned left and ran along to the stile to Noon Hill then went up, whilst at the same time watching a barn owl circling around.  Unfortunately, I didn't get my camera out in time to get a picture.

Why is it that even when everywhere is frozen, the path from Noon Hill to the Pike is still boggy?  My feet got soaked and the water was freezing.  Should have put on my Roosters!

As we ran along the path towards the Pike, it looked as though the Pike was on fire due to the smoke from a power station way off in the distance.


From the Pike we just ran down onto George's Lane, along to Wilderswood car park, then down Old Rake and Brinks Row before heading home.

Total distance - 7 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment