Thursday 18 February 2016

Icy and Beautiful

I went for an early morning run with Ruby this morning up on the tops.  Duncan dropped us off at Curley's at 6.30am and we set off along Wallsuches, trying not to slip on all the ice.  The first mile was very slow as Ruby was trotting behind me and kept stopping to sniff and pee on everything but, once I was able to let her off her lead on George's Lane, things started to get better.

We ran up to the water tanks then turned right and along the ridge to the mast road.  We crossed the mast road and made our way along past the farm and out onto Coal Pit Road.  There was one point along the road which was incredibly icy and I was struggling to stay on my feet.  At this point I had Ruby back on the lead so she was basically pulling me along like a sled dog whilst I just skated on the ice.

We continued on to the trespass stone then made our way up past the shooting hut and along to the mast.

The views were amazing today.  It was beautifully sunny but there was a low fog covering all of Manchester and every other direction so it looked a bit like everything was covered in thick snow.  There were just a couple of high buildings sticking up out of the fog, such as the Beetham Tower.  My phone was buried deep in my bum bag so I didn't want to stop to rummage it out for a photograph.

We got to the mast then ran the boggy route to Two Lads which today wasn't boggy at all because it was all frozen.  Excellent, means I don't need to bath Ruby when we get home!

We reached Two Lads then ran down to the kennels, along George's Lane, through Wilderswood and back home.

It was absolutely lovely to be out this morning.  I love getting out that early when there is nobody else around.

Total distance - 6.5 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment