Thursday 1 May 2014

Welcome to Strava

I finally got around to signing up to Strava the other day and I'm pretty impressed with it.  I already have a CR which was unexpected but very pleasing.

The only problem I have with it, is that it makes me look even slower than I actually am, because I can't explain on it that the fact it took me 15 minutes to run a mile is because Ruby spent half that time sniffing, weeing, pooing, trying to attack other dogs, etc.

Turning to tonight's run, I was due to go to the club's hill session but, as usual, Duncan scuppered my plans by announcing that we had to go to Southport to pick up our 'new' car - another Peugeot 106! This time in silver and with six more horses than the last one to power it.  I'm not sure I'll be able to cope with the sheer speed of the 1.5 diesel beast!

I decided to do something of a hill session anyway with Ruby so we set off down towards Rivvy School.  You might sense a theme here in that I always seem to head off in that direction.  The reason for this is that I know there is a bin that way for Ruby's little presents and there are absolutely none in the other direction - and the council wonder why people don't bother to pick it up!

Once we got to Rivvy School we headed up and took the middle path - the bumpy one which ascends up towards the terraced gardens.  We then headed through the terraced gardens and down the driveway towards the pigeon tower car park, but turning right before we got there and heading up the steep hill which brings you out at the side of the Pigeon Tower.  From there we then ran down George's Lane to pigeon tower car park and then back up the driveway and again up the steep path to the side of the Pigeon Tower.  We then ran along to the Pike, going up the stepped side.  The wind was ridiculous up there, really strong!  We started to head down the curly route but then headed back towards the steps, turning off before them and heading up the steep bit to the left of the steps back to the Pike.  I had let Ruby off the lead by now because I already knew that there was nobody up there and nobody on their way up there so no other dogs for her to attack.  As she was off the lead I decided to treat myself to a run down the grassy bit, which I don't often do these days as Ruby tends to drag me down.   I didn't go as fast as I usually do though, despite the wind pushing me down, because Ruby was running behind me and because I couldn't see her I was paranoid that she would end up running through my legs and trip me up, as she tends to do now and then.  Also, the wind pushing me down was more of a hindrance than a help as it made me feel a bit out of control so I eased off a little.

From the bottom of the Pike we then headed along George's Lane and down Old Rake and back home.

Whilst running tonight, I kept trying to speed up so that I could get home and see if I had any more CR's so Strava really is a good motivational tool.

I have just uploaded my entire 2014 Garmin history to Strava and am surprised to see how many CRs I have, some of them pretty decent.  My favourite I have seen so far (haven't looked through them all yet) is 'Belmont Road Climb', where I am currently fastest female and overall am 15th out of 64.  Looking back at my blog for the date I achieved this, I see that I was just on an easy run with Ruby so I did this without even trying which is why it's my favourite one at the minute.  It's really motivating.

Total distance - 5.15 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment