Sunday 4 May 2014

Turns out I'm not as bad a runner as I thought

Whilst out with the Swifts yesterday, John was telling me about his stats on Run Britain for his age category so I decided to have a look at mine as I have never looked into it before.  It actually made for very pleasing and extremely surprising reading:


  • Overall, in the whole country (men and women) I rank 76908 out of 309422 - that is just inside the top 25%
  • In just ladies I rank 16697 out of 125439 - that's in the top 14%
  • In vet 35 ladies I rank 1865 out of 17110 - that's in the top 11%


I can't believe it!  Am I missing something?  How on earth am I in the top 11% of V35 women in the whole country?  If this is correct and I'm not misreading it, then WOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO!  But if anyone would like to correct me and bring me back down to earth with a bump then I promise I won't cry.


Today's run was just a pretty leisurely one as I was still a bit stiff from my long run yesterday.  Duncan dropped me off by the Prep School in Rivington and I ran up Sheephouse Lane and then onto the path which runs along side it.  I then headed right towards the barn and went left just after it, heading towards pigeon tower car park.  Before I got to the car park though, I continued on the path round to the right and then went through the kissing gate on the left which then climbs up onto the driveway. From there I ran up the driveway and zig-zagged my way up onto George's Lane at the Pigeon Tower.  I wimped out of the Pike today and just carried on along George's Lane then headed home through Wilderswood.

Total distance - 3.9 miles

Week's total distance - 32.7 miles (woooo, back to over 30 miles again!)

4 comments:

  1. Does that not mean you are in the top 11% of vet 35 ladies that use Run Britain? (Other websites are available).

    Well done though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Run Britain includes anyone who is EA affiliated and does distance races. For example, the person at the top of the ladder is Mo Farah.

      Delete
    2. I have just looked it up and it's all to do with handicaps...

      The national ladder positions are an indication of where you stand out of all the road runners in the UK. They are just like the rankings in other sports like golf or tennis.

      The values given indicate your Overall position amongst everybody, your position among all Men or Women and (unless you are a senior) your position in your own Age Group.

      There are also positions by the postcode "district" of the runner - e.g. the AB12 part of AB12 3CD. If you don't have any postcode rankings we probably don't know your postcode so please login and goto the Account section to enter it.

      To compute all these positions, we order everybody's current runbritain Handicap. Updates to the ladder positions are made every week.

      Delete
    3. It's a bit confusing though, as somebody at Lostock, who I know is a much faster runner than me and is in my age category, is ranked quite a bit lower than me so I'm not sure how it works it out really. Perhaps because she hasn't done as many road races as I have? Not sure.

      Delete