Monday 12 May 2014

Ed's Shoes

The plan for tonight was to go for a slow run with Ruby to the junction of Belmont Road and Rivington Road, where Duncan would pick her up on his way home from work and then I'd continue and get a few more miles in.

Ed Swift kindly gave me a pair of only twice used Inov8 Flyrocs the other day so I decided to give them a try.  Stupidly, I forgot to put my orthotics in them so by the time I had climbed up to George's Lane, the soles of my feet were killing.  I had a bit of a stretch and carried on as I know it's usually only the first part of my run where my soles hurt without my orthotics.  I was right, the rest of the run was pain free on the sole of my feet (although not quite so pain free on the top of my right foot, which I had hurt on Saturday, possibly by having my laces too tight!).

The views on George's Lane were exceptional tonight.  It was so clear that you could see the sea glistening on the horizon.

We ran along past the Pigeon Tower and onto Belmont Road which, as usual, was full of horrible smelly brown puddles which it's pretty difficult to dodge.  I really don't like running along that stretch but it's good to let Ruby off her lead as there are very rarely any other dogs/animals on it.  We got to the end where it meets Rivington Road and had to hang around for nearly ten minutes before Duncan came along to pick Ruby up.

Once on my own, I turned round and headed back along Belmont Road, but only for a short while as I then turned off left, up the diagonal towards the trig point on Winter Hill.  I was really pleased with my climb as I managed to run 90% of it without walking.

Once at the top, I then headed down the mast road but turned off just after the mast and went cross country to Two Lads.  My shoes were a bit loose going through all the mud on this route so I decided to wait until I got to Two Lads before stopping to tie my laces a bit tighter.

Coming down off Two Lads I was flying (well, for me anyway) as I wanted to beat my Strava segment to George's Lane.  I passed Colin Jones on the way down but just managed to shout out a hello before zooming past.  Sorry for not stopping for a chat Colin!

Earlier in the run, on my way up to George's Lane, Ruby did her business which, as always, I picked up.  I knew there was no bin for a couple of miles though so I stashed the bag in a hole in the wall by Wilderswood so I could pick it back up on my way home.  Annoyingly it took me ages to find again, which really ruined my attempt to get a Strava CR on the descent from George's Lane to Brownlow Road.  I also must have looked like a right weirdo running along with a poo bag but no dog!

Further Strava related disappointment took place once I got home and uploaded this evening's data.  It appears that the segment from Two Lads down to George's Lane which I had tried really hard to get a good time on, actually starts from a point just before I stopped to tie up my shoelaces, meaning that my time was rubbish because I had been stopped for part of it.  It wasn't even as good a time as the one I did the other day in the rain and mist where I was going really tentatively, even though this time I was flying down.  Going to have to give it another try now!

Total distance - 7.15 miles

P.S. thanks for the shoes Ed - I owe you a few beers!

Strava link - http://www.strava.com/activities/140414656

No comments:

Post a Comment