Thursday 8 May 2014

Two Lads Hill Session

Despite the absolutely appalling weather tonight, I managed to get myself along to the club's hill session.  Tonight's session was a tough one.  We ran from the car park along to the gate to Two Lads.  From there we had to run up to two lads in one minute bursts of effort, followed by 30 second jogs back down again.  At first I made the mistake of jogging back down too quickly but I soon found that this meant I had almost arrived back where I had started and wasn't getting anywhere, so I made my jogs much slower.  I'm not sure how many one minute efforts it took me to get to the top as I wasn't counting but I know that other members of the group had given up on the brief and were just running straight up there so I was quite proud of myself that I kept it up.

Once at the top, we had to run off the other side towards the dog hotel and then come back up from the dog hotel again with the one minute effort, 30 second jogs.

Steve seemed pretty surprised at how well I was doing compared with last time I ran with the club, asking me 'are you on drugs?' and saying that he has never seen me run so fast uphill.

The thing with me is I'm quite hit and miss and sometimes I have great sessions like this one where I'm full of energy and the next minute I have a terrible session where I'm crawling along practically on my hands and knees.

After three and a bit trips to the top it was time to call it a night so I ran back home down the Two Lads route to Brownlow Road.

On my way home, as I was passing Wylderswood Stud, a border collie ran out at me.  Another border collie blocked it's path and warned it off but it then made a second attempt and managed to get it's mouth around my ankle before the other one warned it off again.  I told it off too and carried on running and it then left me alone.  I'm not sure if it was just playing or whether it was actually attacking me to be honest.   I was more impressed by the other dog sticking up for me.  I might have to go and have a word with the owner though as I'd hate for it to bite somebody else and end up being put to sleep or something.  It didn't break the skin but has left a slight mark.

On uploading my run to Strava it appears I have set a ladies course record on 'Two Lads South Descent to Georges Lane' and overall am 19th out of 49 which I'm quite pleased with as I wasn't even trying very hard so I know I could do much better. 

http://www.strava.com/segments/4706349?filter=overall

Total distance - 5.6 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment