Saturday 3 May 2014

A Swift Run

Today I went down to the bottom barn for an 8.30 start with the WFDBWGUA crew.  Both Ed and John Swift were out today, along with Kev Latham.

We set off towards top barn and then up through the terraced gardens to the bottom of the Pike and then up the Pike.  John was on a mission at this point as he wanted to beat his recent times of getting from the car park to the Pike, which I'm pleased to say he managed.

From the Pike we ran down the Pike Race route onto George's Lane and then along to the dog hotel and up to Two Lads, although Kev went cross country from the Pike and met us at Two Lads.  Kev then left us at this point and headed back down again, and we continued on past the quarries and to the Trespass Stone.  From there we ran up past the shooting hut and all the way up to the mast road, where we then headed up to the trig point.

Now came the big challenge - a timed run down to the bridge before coming out onto Belmont Road.  I had great fun at this point as running fast downhill is what I'm good at and what I enjoy the most about fell running.  I did stumble a little at one point though which made me ease off a little (I'm fine running down hill until I start thinking too much and then I sometimes start to get a bit scared) but this didn't last and I soon got my nerve back and picked up the pace some more.  Unfortunately, I went across a bridge and thought that this was the target bridge but it wasn't, although I probably only lost a few seconds.  I eventually got to the actual bridge in a time of 5.57 with Ed close behind at 6.09 (sorry if this is slightly wrong Ed, I can't quite remember).  John got down in sub 8 minutes and we then went along Belmont Road a little and the down through the plantation which takes you out near to dangerous corner.  Instead of heading to dangerous corner though, we turned left and headed back for the barn, via Pigeon Tower car park.

We arrived back at the cars after 9.2 miles but I had been dropped off and so still had to get home but I wanted to get over 10 miles in so didn't mind.  I ran along the side of the reservoir and back home via Rivington School.

I must say this is the most enjoyable run I've had in a long time.  Everything about it was perfect, the company, the course, the weather, the conversation.  I really didn't want it to end and could have stayed out all day.  I've been a bit down on my running lately but this has really picked me back up.

Thanks Swift boys!

Total distance - 11 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment