Thursday 30 July 2015

Why do I find my Canal Run with Kathryn Such Hard Work?

On the training calendar today was an 8.5 mile ‘fast’ run.  Yesterday Kathryn had asked if I fancy a run along the canal today though and I thought it seemed like a good idea because it beats going for a road run on my own at night but the problem is, there isn’t enough time to get 8.5 miles in during lunch.  I decided to do the 5.5 miles with Kathryn and then go out for another three after work.  It’s not quite the same as doing it all in one go but it’ll do.
As mentioned in previous posts, I find running with Kathryn along the canal really hard work.  She’s much faster than me so I get pulled along but I don’t really run any faster than I do when I’m doing fast sessions on my own, yet I don’t find them quite as hard work.  It really must be the chatting which throws my breathing out of sync but conversely you’d think that chatting away would take my mind off the hard work and make it easier but it really doesn’t.  Though looking at my Strava trace now, we were going much faster than I expected… an 8.11 minute mile pace, which is quite impressive considering I had to stop to stretch at one point because my leg was really hurting and I also had to stop for traffic along Canal Street.  
My second run tonight was just from Anglezarke car park, along The Street, to the Bowling Club and then I turned round and ran back again to take it up to three miles.   
Total distance – 5.6 miles + 3 miles – 8.6 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment