Tuesday 24 February 2015

I Think Strava Might be Lying?

I went for my regular canal run with Kathryn and Andy today at lunch.  I was feeling rotten if truth be told.  I've had a sniffle all morning so think I'm coming down with a cold but it wasn't really that which was bothering me as much as my shoes.  I bought some new cheap and nasty road shoes from Decathlon for £15.  I hardly ever run on roads so don't like spending a lot of money on road shoes but these just felt like lead weights.  They were comfortable enough, just much heavier than my Nike Frees which are now getting a bit old and battered.

At the end of our run, I apologised to the others for slowing them down, however when I looked at my Strava trace, it showed that this was our fastest pace on this route to date!

Really?  It certainly didn't feel like it.  Or perhaps the reason I was struggling is because we were running much faster?  I really don't think so though, I'm pretty sure we were going slower than usual.

Josie may have a point about Strava's dubious accuracy!

I have just had a look at the Garmin trace for the same run and that is showing a 9.10 minute mile, which sounds much more accurate to me (Strava is showing an 8.31 minute mile!!!!)


Total distance - 5.7 miles according to Strava / 5.5 miles according to Garmin (what on earth?)

Strava trace - https://www.strava.com/activities/259596318/overview

Garmin trace - https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/705533644

No comments:

Post a Comment