Saturday 28 February 2015

Bin Fodder

I'm rapidly running out of running shoes!

Seriously, all my shoes are falling to bits. It's probably because I'm too lazy to clean then every time I get back from a run and they have been corroded but even my road shoes are on their last legs and they don't get muddy (they hardly get used at all to be honest - I've had them about three years!).

My Mudclaws are the only half decent ones I have but they hurt my 'Haglunds Deformity' so I try to avoid wearing them.

On today's run, I wore my Adidas Kanadias.  They were pretty worn out at the start of the run but got worse and worse as it went on.

I drove to the barn as usual this morning and joining me today was Ed, John, Pauline and Kev.  We headed straight up the Pike and on the way down was when I first realised what a state my shoes were in.  Usually I come down the Pike pretty quickly but today my feet were just sliding out of the sides of my shoes and I was slipping everywhere.

We then went up to Two Lads, then the trig point where Ed sank up to his waist (no exaggeration) without any of the rest of us noticing.  We all just left him.  Good job he managed to pull himself out as we were already half way down the diagonal!  I must admit, I had wimped out of the trig point altogether and stayed on the mast road because I wanted to keep my feet as dry as possible to avoid them slipping out of my shoes!

Once Ed had freed himself and caught up with us at the bottom of the diagonal the group split, with John and Kev heading back to the barn and the rest of us heading off to Lead Mines Clough.

We ran out onto the road and then along to Hordern Stoops, going diagonally along to the ruins of Higher Hempshaws.  We left the main path a little way further along and went on a muddy cross country route towards the 'secret waterfall' at the far end of Lead Mines Clough.  From there, we ran through the woods and to the Bomber Memorial, where I took this lovely picture of my battered shoes.



That picture doesn't actually do justice to just how bad they were. At one point, coming through the woods to the memorial, I slipped whilst running along a contoured bit and couldn't stop sliding down the hill whilst making an involuntary 'wooooooooooo' noise.  I had to crash into a tree to stop myself.

From Bomber Memorial we ran through Lead Mines Clough and out onto the road which we then ran up before going over the stile into the field and heading along to Dean Brook.  From there it was just back to the cars.

Needless to say, the shoes went straight into the bin when I got home.  Suppose it saved me cleaning them!

(NB - that whisky is not mine - I'm an athlete!)


Total distance - 9.75 miles

https://www.strava.com/activities/261513086

No comments:

Post a Comment