Saturday 15 March 2014

Northern Athletics Road Relays, Heaton Park

Last night was the club's presentation evening and what a great evening it was!  I picked up the trophy for overall club champion (for this you have to do a mixture of races in cross-country, fell and road), veteran cross country champion, cross country (single race) champion and also picked up second prize for road champs and for cross country (series) champs.  All in all, not bad!  Lots of new silverware to add to my Fielden Cup on the bookshelf.



Christina won the women's road championship, Josie the fell championship and Debbie the Cross Country championship.

Chris also picked up his fair share of trophies in the men's championship, along with Tony, Doug, Andy, Gary, Dave, Mick and others (sorry for anyone I've missed out).  Loads of awards for the juniors too!

RED ARMY!!!

Turning to today's race, this was the Northern Athletics relays.  Six stage for the ladies, twelve stage for the men.  Thank goodness I'm not a bloke as every other leg of their relay was a long one and the short one was hard enough.  The relays took place at Heaton Park and, for the ladies, involved a 3 mile loop which was quite undulating and hard work.

My team consisted of me (obviously), Nadine, Lindsey, Debbie, Clare and Christine.

Personally I felt I performed really well and was pleased with my performance.  I didn't think I would be as I woke up this morning with a sore throat and a bit of a sniffle so I thought that might impair my performance but it didn't. In fact, my pace was the best I have ever done in a race so I'm really pleased. It was tough on the legs though and I have pretty sore shins now.

The other girls seemed to have no complaints about their performances either so all in all a good race.

Overall we came 29th out of 49 teams which is really pleasing seeing as one of our fastest runners had to drop out last minute due to injury.

At the time of writing I'm not entirely sure how the men did.  I think they came 16th but I'm not sure how many out of, however this has secured them a place in the nationals, well done guys!

Total distance - 3 miles plus warm up/down


No comments:

Post a Comment